Friday, April 15, 2005

Football and why Liverpool might actually win it...

I was once a huge fan of football (soccer to our American chums, tsk...). I don't watch them as much as I would want to nowadays. The last time I was really really into football was during the France Vs England Euro 2004 match. Me and my partner watched it together in her room. Her landlord (a Chelsea supporter) was in the next room rooting for England with his friends and Spanish girlfriend.

Well the match was not that great, except that we were supporting France (because France did not go to a certain war). During the 87th minute when France was down, and this is all true, I had a sudden urge to run out to the local Ladbrokes (about half a minute away) and bet on a French win.

I did not of course, being the silly person I am (anti-betting). Stupid me I know. Well as you all know, France eventually levelled, we screamed, thumped the tables and probably made enemies with her landlord's beer buddies. And when France went ahead, the room next door just went dead quiet. We celebrated of course.

Later came the cussing and regret as I realised what I would stand to make if I actually if I stake that tenner (£2500-£5000) I had in my wallet.

I never actually bet in sports before and that was the only time I made a correct prediction. Of course I avoided football ever since except when gathering with friends or I happened to be in a pub and the telly is switched on to some crap football.

Now, Liverpool is set to meet Chelsea in the semi-finals of the Champions League. I don't support either, but I hate Chelski's guts (because of the money involved - and also to annoy Jennifer's landlord) , hence why I will be supporting Liverpool.

There is a reason why Liverpool might win. This is from The Independent:

Liverpool's omens for success in Champions' League: Why 2005 is year of coincidence

* 1978

Wales win the rugby union Grand Slam
Liverpool lose in the League Cup final
The Pope dies
Liverpool win European Cup

* 2005

Wales win the rugby union Grand Slam
Liverpool lose in the League Cup final
The Pope dies

* 1981

Prince Charles gets married
Ken and Deirdre marry on Coronation Street
A new Dr Who is appointed
Liverpool finish fifth in the League
Liverpool win European Cup

* 2005

Prince Charles gets married
Ken and Deirdre marry on on Coronation Street
A new Dr Who is appointed
Liverpool sit fifth in the League

4 comments:

Videos by Professor Howdy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jon Choo said...

Sorry Howdy, but no spam please.

sashi said...

Ah. Just read your post. I posted something similar about this too, although my source was the BBC website.
Walk On, dude...

Jon Choo said...

Cheers