Monday, January 18, 2010

Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray review

This review is about the product itself, and not the Battlestar Galactica series. If you are reading this, chances are you like Battlestar Galactica enough to be considering purchasing the Limited Edition Blu-ray boxset so I am sure you would rather not hear another Battlestar Galactica fanboy pouring praises on his blog.

Picture quality is brilliant when played back on my PS3. The 1080p transfer is fantastic and I am delighted to finally be able to watch my favourite Sci-Fi series in HD. There is a real problem with noise, but I attribute that to the limitation set by the digital cameras used to film the. There are also film scratches and grains (probably intentional) that can be seen from time to time though that is not a Blu-ray limitation but more about Universal not archiving one of their better investment properly.

Audio is available in the form of 5.1 DTS-HD.

The series comes in a tin box. Not very practical, but the Cylon on the front is pretty. It is actually taller than a DVD case, so you would not be able to store them in purposed built DVD shelves.

But here's the real (physical) problem - the discs are stored in multiple red plastic holders that are itself stored inside cardboard sleeves. Removing the discs from the sleeves can be difficult as they are too tight. In fact I had to damage one of the sleeves in order to gain access to the discs. So be prepared to destroy your limited edition boxset if you want to watch it. If Universal had any sense they will send out replacement disc cases - as there are plenty of space inside the tin case to keep proper sized Blu-ray cases.

The first season here is actually the American version, and not the UK version with the more superior opening music, so that is another thing to keep in mind - but to me it is only a minor issue. If there is one upside to the package, it is that the discs are region free making importing and exporting a breeze.

The biggest issue I had with the 'Complete Series' boxset however is the lack of 'The Plan', the final TV movie in the Battlestar Galactica series. Sure, it aired after the final episode was aired, but is still pretty much the same series - it shares the same cast for one and the same production company and storyline. So I am pretty peeved that my Battlestar Galactica 'The Complete Series' isn't actually complete and that I have to pay more to get it actually complete. I suspect Universal will re-release another ‘Ultimate Complete’ version. Gullible consumers will probably gobble it up, but I'll resist.

+ brilliant series
+ great picture quality
+ region free
- silly packaging
- pretty pricey

2 comments:

sheril said...

Hi,
I like your posts

cheap dsi r4 said...

If you are excited for good quality blu-ray discs of a truly entertaining series, look no further. But that is ALL you will be getting - a stack of discs that I recommend you find your own way to store.